Recognizing Bug Bites From Insects Common to Santa Clarita
If you’ve ever woke up with an itchy bump on your ankle and wondered just how a spider got into your sheets, you are not alone. Surprisingly enough, it was most likely not a spider that bit you. Many spider bites have tell-tale signs, as do other insect culprits common to Santa Clarita. From stinging ants to horseflies, black widows to jumping spiders, there are a lot of little critters sharing our space that bite and sting.
Getting concerned about those bug bites? Contact the experts at No Bugs pest control for pest protection in Santa Clarita.
Stings and Bites from Common Local Insects
Unsure of what bit you in the night? Spent the afternoon hiking and came home with a red bump? Read below for tips on identifying your possible bug bite.
- Ants: Most common ants sting rather than bite. Their sting can cause moderate pain, redness, and swelling at the site. It may cause the same allergic reaction as a bee sting, including sneezing, itching, shortness of breath, and swelling.
- Bed Bugs: These bug bites may go unnoticed, sometimes but not always causing a reaction. If a reaction occurs, it comes with a burning or itching sensation, red welts, swelling, rash, and possible small red bumps in groups or lines.
- Fire Ants: These ants sting instead of bite. Their sting causes a burning feeling, moderate to severe pain, red welts and lumps, and potential for blistering. One ant can sting multiple times, and stings can appear in a semicircle.
- Fleas: Flea bites appear as red bumps with a pink or red halo around the bite site. Their bites are known for extreme itchiness and possible soreness and pain around the bite. Concerned about your pets? Learn 5 Ways to Protect Your Pets From Fleas & Ticks.
- Horseflies: Horseflies are aggressive and have a mean bite. Their bites are painful, sore, and itchy at the site and appear as red or pink bumps with the potential for bleeding. Horseflies feed on the blood of their victims, so there is a potential for infection at the bite location.
- Mosquitos: Bites from mosquitos are itchy with hard, puffy bumps with a red dot in the center. They also have the potential for blisters. Tired of scratching? Check out 5 Home Remedies to Soothe Mosquito Bites.
Local Santa Clarita Spiders & Their Bites
Spiders do not typically bite humans for any reason other than defense. If you are an avid gardener, protect yourself from disturbing spiders that could be hiding in your garden by wearing gloves. Do the same when reaching into dark cabinets or spaces in the garage they may be hiding. If you are bitten by a spider, the list below may help you identify which kind.
- Black Widows: Black widow bites, like most other spider bites, are characterized by two puncture wounds. These bites feel like a tiny pinprick when bitten but the body’s response usually happens immediately. Reactions include muscle cramps, pain and burning at the bite, headache, high blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, and numbness. If you experience a severe reaction, seek medical attention.
- Camel Spiders: Camel spider bites create a significant wound, and although there is no venom, there is the potential for infection. The bite site may also show swelling and bleeding.
- Jumping Spiders: Jumping spiders are one of the most common spiders in Santa Clarita, and luckily, their bite feels no worse than a bee sting. Although there is a chance of allergic reaction if you are also allergic to bees, it is often characterized by itching, slight pain, swelling, redness, or headache.
- Tarantulas: Tarantulas are typically docile and do not bite unless provoked. Their bite feels much like a bee sting. With warmth, redness, itching, and swelling at the site of the bite. Tarantulas are not considered poisonous but seek medical attention if you have a reaction that includes trouble breathing, rapid heart rate, or low blood pressure.
Live a Bite-Free Life With Year-Round Pest Control
Whether you’ve been stung or bitten, watch the site for changes or signs of infection and keep the area clean. Contact medical professionals if any symptoms worsen with time. If you have questions about pest control for your home or property, don’t hesitate to call the Santa Clarita pest control experts at No Bugs. Our team is happy to help you stay safe from bites and stings all year long.