Summer Weather and Mosquitos in SCV
As temperatures rise, mosquitos come out by the hundreds to take advantage of an abundance of human victims that are out enjoying the spring and summer nights. Mosquitos breed in standing water and can do so in as little as a capful. This means that there is a risk for mosquito infestation anywhere there is water stored in your yard, from ponds to drainage plates under pots.
5 Natural Ways to Relieve Mosquito Bite Symptoms
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal contains anti-irritant compounds that soothe itchy, irritated skin. You can use it as a paste (mixing water and oatmeal in equal parts to make a paste) or take an oatmeal bath if you have multiple bites.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, has anti-irritant properties that can reduce the symptoms of mosquito bites. You can mix it into a paste by adding a small amount of water, applying it to the bite, and letting it sit for 10 minutes before washing.
- Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has multiple uses, including application to soothe cuts, scrapes, bug bites, and other skin irritations. Vinegar can help relieve the itch, sting, and swelling of bites and act as a natural disinfectant. Dab a drop or two of vinegar on the bite or soak a washcloth in a mixture of apple cider vinegar and cold water for a more extensive application.
- Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is a natural astringent that you can purchase at most grocery stores or superstores. It contains tannins that act as the astringent to reduce inflammation, soothe the sting, and help heal. Apply by soaking a cotton ball or cloth with a few drops of witch hazel and applying against the bite, allowing to dry and reapplying as needed.
- Lemon: Lemons have anti-inflammatory and anesthetic properties. They can provide immediate relief by pressing the flesh of the lemon against the bite.
Stop Mosquitos Before They Bite
One surefire way to combat mosquito bites is to reduce the number of mosquitos on your property. Eliminating standing water will help to reduce the breeding grounds on your property for mosquitos looking for places to lay eggs, but you can do more. No Bugs Pest Control’s team of mosquito control experts can help you reduce exposure to mosquitos. We can install mosquito baiting systems to help fight existing and new mosquito populations. These are especially helpful if you or your family members are allergic to mosquitos and need all the help you can get to prevent bites.
Contact No Bugs Pest Control in Santa Clarita to discuss our mosquito baiting system and how it can help you during mosquito season in Southern California.